I had a pile of post to open today and one of the letters was from the Highland Council. “Oh good,” I thought. “They got my email about extending the 50% council tax discount because the house was still uninhabitable.”
Yes, they did – and it made them look at their records and realise that the house had now been unoccupied for more than 12 months which has triggered their punitive 200% council tax rate!! So I have a bill for £1,121 for council tax and water rates between September and the start of the next council tax year. Ouch.
I have one hope of getting it reversed. On the council’s website is a Long Term Empty Property Discretion Application Form and one of the allowable reasons for the 200% charge being delayed for up to 12 months is:
The owner is finishing renovations prior to moving in or selling or letting and can demonstrate that these works are progressing
I’ve filled it out and tomorrow I’ll photocopy the completion statement for the roof, the interim invoice for the rewiring and the quote for the new heating system, explain it still has no kitchen or bathroom and invite them to visit any time they like and with a bit of luck I’ll at least be able to pay normal council tax rather than double.
Anyway, onto happier things. Derek, David and Dougie all came over on Tuesday morning and we had a very productive 45 minutes. We’ve ended up agreeing that the best thing to do is take the heating manifolds out of the kitchen altogether. They’re going to go on the landing, in the same cupboard that will hide the electricity cupboard. It means the landing will seem very narrow, because the cupboard will run the length of it, but it’s going in space you couldn’t walk in anyway because of the roof slope, and it means I can put a carousel in the corner unit in the kitchen rather than having to put a false back in for the heating stuff. So Derek will be back on Tuesday to start running pipes through the joists.
While they were here, Dougie and David measured up the kitchen and came to an agreement about where the stud wall would be and therefore how much space I had to put kitchen units in. I’ve spent this evening redrawing the design to fit and will give Howdens a ring in the morning to see if we can pop in on Saturday and just talk it through with someone.
Pipework on Tuesday means that we need to get that Quinn Therm cleared out of the living room, so we’ve been working down there in the evenings again. My job was to take out the last remaining bits of plasterboard in the bathroom and I found a lovely wooden lintel.
Mick has been carefully cutting and fitting the 100mm Quinn Therm into the roof, but had a quick practice with one sheet of 25mm in the kitchen. Bye-bye fireplace….
David gave me his estimate for doing the window sills and I think there may have been some coughing and spluttering at ERG’s end (to be fair, I think it included some work that ERG wouldn’t have done) because I have one of the fitters coming up in the morning to have a look and see what needs doing.