So my lovely husband decided that he needed a week off work, since he hadn’t had any time off yet this year, and last week he put in a massive effort to get the house more or less ready for the trades to start.
He got a little over-enthusiastic in the bathroom – we’ll have to rig up a sheet for some privacy! Pete, Dougie and David all know each other well, but possibly not THAT well!!
Bedroom one – wall ready for raking out and repointing. You know that the hot water cylinder was there a long time when there’s a perfectly circular dent in the floorboards.
Studwork removed between the rooms upstairs – that’s standing in bedroom one, looking through bedroom three/the landing to bedroom two.
Lime plaster coming off downstairs. Still waiting for the final verdict on supporting that lintel, which means it’s not a ‘No’ yet!
Living room lime plaster coming off. I’m sure there are probably better, safer and faster ways to do it than knocking it off by whacking it with a hammer, but I did that wall in the second and third pictures (and about a wall’s-worth in the kitchen) and it’s bloody good fun! On a more practical note, I am a lot happier with my balance on a stepladder than I was before I started.
He really did pick the right week to take off – we’ve enjoyed some stunning weather here over the past 10 days.
So we are more or less there on the stripping out part of the job. Upstairs has now been swept up and is ready to go. Downstairs we still need to bag up and remove the lime plaster on the floor, but decided that a better breathing mask were required first – the filters for it arrived today, so we should be able to get tidied up downstairs by the end of the weekend, particularly since the Rayburn was rehomed today to someone who’s prepared to give it some TLC and restore it (and he very kindly brought us a bottle of whisky to say thank you!).