Because I feel like I’ve done a full week’s work already!
Monday’s jobs were to track down Dougie (done, he hadn’t got my text last week, but I spoke to him and he’ll be back as soon as he has a free day – he’s also been alerted to the boiler wiring issue and will take a look when he’s back), ask Magnus if he was free to help with decorating the landing and hall (no, he’s off on holiday – Magnus is a great traveller, so I look forward to seeing all the photos on Facebook) and turn the twin room purple:
Yesterday I had to go into town, so the house-related part of the list was:
- Pop into Pollards to ask them a quick question about a house they’ve got for sale
- Visit Elizabeth’s to have a look at curtains
- Visit Janet Street Carpets to have a look at carpets
The house I had the question about had gone under offer that morning, so it was a bit of a moot point, but sales fall through with alarming regularity up here, so it may not be game over with that one.
I found curtain material I absolutely loved for both the living room:
and the kitchen:
and then had slight kittens at the price, which with window widths of 7’6″ worked out at just under £300 for the living room and about £500 for the kitchen! I remembered that Riverside did curtains, so went and had a look, but the prices were about the same – until I found a pair in their sale bin almost identical to the black and silver pair above, for £59.50. The one problem? I hadn’t measured the drop I needed, only the width, and at 54″ I wasn’t sure they were going to be long enough. I asked if they’d stick them aside for me so I could check, as it was the last pair, and they very kindly stuck them in a bag for me and told me to bring them back if they didn’t fit! Sadly they didn’t, I need a 66″ drop, so I’ll be sending them in with Mick when he goes into town on Friday. I’m not sure what to do about the curtains, might have a look at Curtain Exchange or eBay before I commit to getting some made.
Also to go back with Mick on his Friday afternoon trip to see his mum will be the two books of carpet samples that Janet Street Carpets lent me. I’d remembered the Cottages.com rep advising me to go for a quality carpet with a high wool percentage, so I spent a fascinating 20 minutes learning all about how wool fibres react in a carpet and issues like reverse pile. After a fun Tuesday evening with Mick spent holding carpet samples against the white woodwork and then putting bits of offcut oak from the downstairs skirting boards on them to get an idea of how it would go with the furniture, we’ve settled on an 80/20 wool blend from Summit Twist in Olympus, which is a dark neutral beige. It comes in three grades, and as the difference between the middle and the best is only £2 a square metre £21 versus £23), I think we’ll probably go for the highest. Wool carpets are graded by pile weight, which is the number of ounces of carpet pile (i.e. the wool bit, not the backing) per square yard, and the Summit Twist’s top weight of 50oz means it’s graded as suitable for heavy domestic use, so it’ll be fine for the stairs and landing as well as the bedrooms. We also need a special underlay because of the underfloor heating, at £8.99 a square metre and I reckon I’m going to need about 40 square metres in total – they’re coming on Monday to measure up, as they’ve got two jobs in the area.
Today we had no rain forecast, so I bit the bullet and decided to paint the gate. First job, scrubbing all the green bits and bird droppings off with a wire brush, then sanding down any wire marks. Finn, my Welsh cob, came wandering over to see what I was up to and provided moral support by farting loudly at me whenever I looked like I was flagging! Of course, sod’s law dictates that once I’d got started with the actual painting part, a load of showers came over. After having to re-paint the same bit of gate three times to get the raindrop marks out, I gave up in a huff and went home for some lunch, which, of course, I ate in glorious sunshine. Back down again once I’d finished and another two hours saw the first coat finished. I’ll need to wait for another supposedly dry day to get the second on, but it’s looking pretty good, I think.
I’ve still got the dormer to paint in the twin room, but I did touch-ups on the purple today and I want to make sure they’re completely dry before I put masking tape over it, so tomorrow I’m going to attack the landing. Wish me luck…