What a week. David came back with a newly-toughened understairs cupboard door and also two custom-made plank doors for the byres.
Pete turned up on Tuesday morning and decided the woodburner wasn’t safe to light. What’s happening is that rain is being forced through the porous blocks in the chimney and onto the outside of the flexible flue liner where it touches the chimney wall. The water, thick with soot and tar, then runs down the flue liner and drips down the stovepipe onto the hearth. Pete suspects the whole liner is coated with tar and if we light it, best case scenario is that the whole house smells like a tarmacing team, worst case is that it ignites and we get a chimney fire above the blanking plate that’s completely inaccessible and burns the house down. One swift call to the agency later, it’s been removed from the advertising as a feature and all guests contacted to explain the situation. The solution is to get the chimneys harled, which can’t be done until the weather settles down, so we’re probably looking at end of April/beginning of May at the earliest. In the meantime, Pete will come and remove the stove to clean everything down and then we’ll put newspaper or rags above the blanking plate to catch any drips, replacing with fresh at each changeover. I really wish he’d been able to come back and see this BEFORE we started advertising, but hey ho.
It was third time lucky for BT on Tuesday afternoon, in that the engineer did turn up and fitted the master socket in the house. Jamie from Openreach was also in the village, trying to track down a fault on our line at home which has developed a really bad crackle and intermittent broadband. The engineer found a fault on the line at Ethel’s as well and the two of them put their heads together and worked out that it was a problem in the big 50-pair cable on the main road, somewhere between the farm and the farm cottage. They’ve had a number of complaints in the village and this should now allow BT to link them all together and get fixing the cable bumped up the priority list. It was supposed to be done yesterday, but thanks to the large dumping of snow, we’ve still got a crackly line. However, hats off to BT, I got another two engineers at lunchtime today and by 1pm they’d got the phone and broadband at Ethel’s up and running for me.
Yesterday and today have been a serious case of stop it and tidy up, and I underestimated how long it was going to take. I got the bedrooms sorted pretty quickly, they just needed a dust and a hoover, ditto for the landing and stairs. I cleaned the bathroom, stocked the bathroom unit with loo rolls, got Mick to put the bathroom mirror up and then emptied both the cupboards under the stairs and gave them a really good scrub out, as they were absolutely filthy. Setting up the kitchen was the big time sink. There was a serious amount of packaging to deal with – this is just from the crockery!
The guests were coming up from Angus and I wasn’t entirely sure they were going to make it, as for most of the day the snow gates on the A9 were shut and we were completely cut off from the rest of the country. When I checked my email at about 2.15 to find a message timed an hour earlier saying they were just 80 miles away, I had a slight panic, because the kitchen at that point looked like this:
One very focused hour later, I was just about there. (And yes, I did remember to put the dog water bowl on the floor!)
It’s almost exactly two years since we got the keys and just as a reminder of how much we’ve done, this is what the kitchen looked like on day one, shot taken of the same back wall.
Our guests made it to the village about 5pm – Mick had just got home and we spotted a car driving slowly along the village road, stopping at each driveway. I thought that had to be them, so Mick ran up the drive and it was. He gave them directions, told them to ring or come and see us if there was anything they needed, and so far we haven’t had a screaming guest at the back door demanding a refund, so hopefuly that means they’re happy with the place 🙂