Firstly, apologies to anyone who’s been checking back for an update since Monday, but I was on the point of tearing my hair out – I managed to hold on until 12.30 that day before I caved in and emailed the mortgage consultant at the building society. I got a reply immediately. ‘Thank you for your email. I am out of the office until 4th September. This email address is not being monitored. Please contact the branch on [phone number].’
There was language.
I have spent the last four days phoning the branch and leaving my details with the promise of ‘someone will call you back’. They finally did today, in a most apologetic manner, but they’re currently down 2/5ths of their mortgage consultants due to holidays and illness, so they’re a bit stretched. The upshot is that the underwriters have agreed a figure for my income to go into the affordability calculations, the mortgage consultant has re-run the affordability calculation and we still pass, so they are happy to offer us the residential mortgage subject to the house being valued by a surveyor from their panel. However, since my mortgage consultant is away and the deal is slightly complex thanks to the linked commercial mortgage, they’re going to double-check with the commercial side that they’re happy before getting in touch with the valuers and instructing them to make contact.
Fortuitously, the sellers of the house we’re buying were around today and so I was able to go and break the good news in person. I now have a to-do list as long as both my arms, but it looks like we’re finally moving forwards again.